STX Entertainment’s young movie division needed an efficient way to launch websites for their upcoming films. I’d worked with some of the digital marketing team prior to STX when they were at Disney and we’d often discussed building a platform to make building movie sites easier, cheaper and quicker.
Web app design
PROJECT CHALLENGES & KEY REQUIREMENTS FOR THE AWARDS PLATFORM
- Marketing sites can be managed and built by non-technical people
- Automate release date messaging
- Schedule certain site updates
- Custom CMS allowing for many movie sites to be live across the Theatrical, Home Entertainment campaign periods, and beyond
- Final websites should be small in file size and fast to download, and obviously fully responsive for mobile users
STX CMS WIREFRAMES
The dark page in the middle is a movie page. The images either side are admin pages for the CMS.
Since I already had about 15 years experience in creating marketing campaigns for Hollywood, the requirements for this project were very familiar to me. I designed the UX, built the wireframes and prototypes, and directed a team of three designers to bring those wireframes to life.
I’ve worked with Paramount Pictures, Disney, Fox Movies, NBC Universal, and Warner Brothers in developing web-based marketing campaigns. Since creating the STX content management system I can truly say that this is the quickest way to launch a new movie marketing website.
Even though my focus is UX/UI, and the creative direction of things. I also have a good grasp of technology. The other thing I did for STX was explain to them what kind of hosting structure they needed for the system we were building for them with the simple graphic below.